Work Health Safety (WHS) Legislation 2012

What’s new for NSW

In NSW there are a few changes under the new WHS laws.  Some of these include:

  • The term ‘employer’ will be replaced by the term ‘person conducting a business or undertaking’ (PCBU).
  • An ‘employee’ will be known as a ‘worker’.  This includes labour hire staff, volunteer, work experience student, contractor, sub-contractor, apprentice, trainee and outworker.
  • If you are a supplier, designer, manufacturer, importer, or manager or controller of a workplace, you will have specific duties in addition to those as a PCBU.
  • Certain volunteers can have the same responsibilities as a worker.
  • OHS representatives will now be called health and safety representative (HSR) and will have a few additional functions as well as playing a role in the consultation process between ‘workers’ and ‘PCBUs’.
  • A member of an employee representative body can apply for an entry permit to enter a workplace.

If you would like to know more about how the new laws affect you, click on the links below.

A ‘person conducting a business or undertaking’ (PCBU) includes a retailer, wholesaler, manufacturer, importer, owner-driver…..

A worker includes an employee, labour hire staff, volunteer, apprentice….

A health and safety representative makes a significant contribution to ensuring the safety of NSW workplaces.

Find out how to obtain a work health and safety entry permit

For the latest on the new laws or to register for free workshops and presentations, visit

For more information contact Safety Services Australia  029836 3100