Allan embarked on his professional journey in land, engineering, and mining surveying, engaging in various facets such as open-cut and underground mining, land resumption, cadastral work, and large-scale property developments for George Wimpy & Co, a British-based international developer.
With roots deeply embedded in land and mining, Allan’s career has dynamically evolved into a 23-year trajectory of entrepreneurial management. His expertise spans a broad spectrum of industries, including retailing, furniture manufacturing, food production and distribution, construction, and agriculture.
This extensive experience is a testament to Allan’s multifaceted skill set, showcasing his proficiency in navigating the intricacies of business development. Crucially, he seamlessly integrates his practical understanding of work health and safety knowledge across diverse industries, emphasising his dedication to creating safe and secure work environments for clients spanning various sectors.
Allan demonstrates keen awareness of the diverse drivers influencing leaders in complex, multifaceted organisations. Collaborating closely with his clients, he assists in crafting strategies that are both robust and flexible, aligning with the long-term overarching vision while accommodating the priorities of corporate initiatives.
Allan specialises in the hands-on application of safety management systems, safety-critical risk management, safety in design, safety leadership coaching, training, and auditing.
Principal WHS Consultant | Safety Services Aust. | 2017-Current
WHS Manager | Argyle Community Housing | 2017-2018
WHS National Manager | Zacpac Australasia | 2016-2017
WHS Consultant | North Sydney Council | 2015-2016
BDM -Snr. Executive | AJA Safety Consultants | 2003-2015
- Master of Science (Occupational Health and Safety) MSc (OHS), University of Wollongong.
- Bachelor of Social Science,BSc, University of Wollongong.
- Graduate Certificate (Business Management) BBsMn, Australian Institute Business.
- Graduate Diploma (Business Administration) GDipBA.
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) Australian Institute of Business (pending).
- Diploma of Quality Auditing and Risk Management, Swinburne University Melbourne.
- TAE40116 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment National Training Masters, Kiama NSW.
Workplace Certificate & Competencies
- Certified Practicing Risk Manager CPRM.
- Certified Generalist OHS Professional COHSProf.
- ISO 45001 lead auditor
- Accredited Safe Work Injury Management Rehabilitation Co-coordinator.
- Accredited ICAM investigation specialist
- White card – Safe Work general induction for construction work.
Recent Client Programs
Safety Services Australia
Working with TAFE NSW I provided specialist advice to line managers, mid-tier managers and senior staff on a range of sectors. Undertook inspections of high risk operations over sixteen campus sites reporting on safety management system deficiencies, specialised services in chemical management, electrical safety, plant safety and dangerous goods. Instrumental in reducing critical risks by 80% over a four year planned program.
Argyle Community Housing
Consulted internal and external stakeholders including senior police officers on suitable methodologies to protect and minimise workplace incidents when dealing with vulnerable people. Implemented reforms to the safety management system including providing a workable system of consultation across multiple sites and isolated areas. Identified areas of greatest exposure of risk and introduced changes to workplace culture by gaining acceptance and buy in from employees.
Zacpac Australasia Pty Ltd
Developed a positive safety culture in a diminished business structure by actively engaging with workers and line managers concentrating on movement of materials using various forklifts, traffic management, COR and logistics management.
Injury management, investigation and reporting of root causes and strategies to bring about suitable changes.
North Sydney Council
Organised multiple training programs for council work groups, consulted with council directors, managers and supervisors on compliance, monitoring safety performance, risk analysis and action plans, data input into authority council software system, carried out onsite inspections of workgroups, and revised work method statements.
Charles is an experienced safety and human resources professional, with over 18 years of safety management experience coupled with above average qualifications who has provided advice, guidance and support to management and staff in Australia and internationally.
Partnering with stakeholders at all levels and across various organisations, Charles has built cohesive safety teams across multiple sights and within multi-disciplinary frameworks.
Driving continuous improvement (Strategic Direction) through Internal/ External Audits, Risk Assessment, System Reviews, Policy/Procedure development, Charles has demonstrated reductions in LTIFR’s and significant productivity gains. Charles is experienced in advising and educating various levels of Boards /management regarding legislative requirements with a single sense of purpose, i.e., incident and injury reporting, hazard management, PCBU’s, Duty of Care.
Safety Manager | Brisbane Convention Centre | 2019-2021
Safety / Security Manager | E- Tab (PNG) | 2017-2018
Interim CEO | Allied Health Organisation | 2015-2016
General Manager Safety | HR CMS | 2004-2015
Safety / HR Manager | Alliance Airlines | 2001-2004
- Master of Safety Science, Central Queensland University (2017).
- Graduate Diploma, Occupational Health & Safety, Central Queensland University (2014).
- Graduate Diploma in Business Administration, HR Management, Queensland University of Technology (1997).
Workplace Certificate & Competencies
- ICAM, Lead Incident Investigation (2018).
- Construction Induction (White Card).
- Certificate IV Work Place Training and Assessing.
- Cert IV Occupational Health and Safety.
- First Aid & Senior First Aid (2020).
- Return to Work Coordinator.
Recent Client Programs
Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre
Built a new safety team and coached /guided departmental managers and leadership team. Developed a new accident and incident modellings system, developed and improved policy and safety management of events / exhibitions.
E-Tab Port Moresby (PNG)
Worked with managers providing guidance on safety and security and implementation of safety regimes. Liaison with PNG Government regarding safety and security.
Community Management Solutions
Successfully managed compliance with AS/NZ4801, conducted incident investigations utilising ICAM methodology and practices. Analysed and used Lead and Lag indicators resulting in a substantive reduction of workers compensation claims (30%), and LTIFR’s and significant productivity gains. Managed all WC / RTW programs, and case management. Implemented proactive training to staff and boards of management on inductions, hazard management, incident/investigations, WC /RTW, claims process, officer duties and implemented wellness programs resulting in more engaged staff.
Conducted incident investigations utilising ICAM methodology and practices, on-site training on best practices in hazard recognition and safe behaviours. Implemented behavioural based safety process and programs and successfully managed rehabilitation process / return to work plans. Provided strategic OH&S advice to management teams in diverse geographic locations and management of critical incident and accident investigation matters.
Analysed and used lead and lag indicators resulting in a 50% reduction of Workers Compensation claims, LTIFR’s and significant productivity gains. Managed all WC / RTW programs and case management and conducted safety audits and implemented risk prevention strategies. Emergency management development and training, combined with implementing an integrated system of Employee Assistance Program regimes. Successfully provided Strategic HR advice to Chairman and management team during a period of expediential growth.
Charles has also lectured at Central Queensland University; Queensland University of Technology and provided guest lectures at Charles Sturt University.
- RANC Graduate
- Full Bridge Watchkeeping Certificate
- Retired Naval Officer – in charge of Naval Firefighting & NBCD & Shipboard Damage Control School HMAS Penguin & Garden Island Fire Station.
- Bachelor of Arts (UNSW)
- Post Graduate Diploma of OHS (Wollongong University)
- Diploma of OHS Management (Assessment A+ – NSCA)
- Diploma in Project Management
- Intensive Course in Occupational Hygiene (WORKSAFE Australia – Sydney University)
- Diploma of Maritime Studies,
- Associate Diploma of Management,
- Associate Diploma of Fire Prevention & Safety (School of Military Engineering)
- Advanced Certificate in Vocational Training Systems,
- Certificate in Environmental Health (RAN)
- Certificate in Public Administration (Accreditation of Naval Training)
David is an ex-Director of WHS in Risk/Internal Audit at Deloitte.
He has 28 years’ experience in specialist occupational hygiene, health, safety, environment and risk management and generalist human resources management, gained from Director level positions in consulting, industrial, and military settings. He has extensive experience in auditing, development, implementation, monitoring and review of management systems. He has achieved superior outcomes in a variety of industries including construction, mining, consulting, waste management, detention facilities and in the military.
He has extensive experience in management systems in Government and Utilities sectors including: Developing and delivering systems and specialist safety training in ActewAGL, & TAFE NSW; designing a TNA for the Department of Juvenile Justice; and Design, development and delivery of many specialist safety training for Tenix/Downer.
David has extensive experience in incident investigations. He has awareness & received training in the following methodologies: TapRoot, ICAM, SSAI, MORT, Fault Tree Analysis, & Root Cause Analysis. He has led & undertaken many incident investigations including fatality level, regulatory & serious investigations. As part of WHS system development, he has designed, developed, delivered, trained & mentored many organisations their Management Systems and strategies using both client & proprietary methodologies.
Sean is a highly experienced WHS Manager with a Master of Management from MGSM and has dedicated his career to coaching and mentoring leaders at all levels, to integrate health and safety into their operations. He is known for his ability to turn safety science into practical reality in the workforce.
With deep knowledge of safety science and management, Sean specialises in the practical application of safety management systems, safety critical risk management, safety in design, safety leadership coaching, training and auditing.
- Master of Management (MMGT) – MGSM
- Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety – NT University
- Woolworths Engaging Leaders Program (18 month) – Woolworths Academy
- Associate Diploma Adult Education – NT University
- Safety in Design – Consult Australia
- Lead Auditor Quality Management Systems – QSA (AS/NZS 9001)
- Lead Auditor OHS Systems – QSA/SAI (AS/NZS 4801, ISO 45001, OHSAS 18001),
- Lead Auditor Environmental Systems – BSI (ISO 14001), Lead Investigator Training – ICAM
- Du Pont Managing Safety for Operations Managers
- Return to Work Coordinator NSW/VIC/SA
Workplace Certificate & Competencies
- Certificate IV in Assessment and Workplace Training
- Certificate IV in Government (Injury Claims Management and Rehabilitation Management)
- Implement Traffic Control Plans
- Working at Height
- Occupational First Aid/Advanced Resuscitation
- Mental Health First Aid
- National Training Masters, Kiama NSW.
- Career History
Australian Foundation for Disability (AFFORD)
AFFORD, in operation for over 65 years, is one of Australia’s longest serving disability not-for-profit enterprises. Reviewed and upgraded the National Safety Management System, facilitating the consultation between workers and Management. Developed and delivered the High-Risk Work licence training across the business. Led the development and coaching of supervisors and managers in safety leadership.
Retail FM (Woolworths Subsidiary)
Coached and mentored leaders at all levels across the Woolworths Group to develop and then implement their WHS Strategic Plan and Safety Management System. Integral to the success of the Woolworths’ cultural change program. Conducted competency verification audits as a means of reinforcing safety behaviours. Mentored the Safety Health Executive Committee to achieve the outcomes of their charter.
HSE Assurance Specialist
Reviewed and upgraded the safety management system elements and lead the audit team across the Woolworths retail sector.
Developed and implemented the Critical Safety Risk Program.
Developed the due diligence process in order to provide Safety and Health assurance for an acquisition.
Legal Privilege investigation lead – Supermarkets.
AUSTRALIAN INSTITUTE OF HEALTH & SAFETY
Charted Professional Member and Registered Safety Professional in Australia
NEW ZEALAND INSTITUTE OF SAFETY MANAGEMENT
Virginia is an experienced Safety & Quality Consultant with an extensive breadth and depth of knowledge in O&G, Mining Local & State Government, Maritime, Logistics & Transport, Health, Utilities and Construction backed up by excellent business acumen and the ability to tackle client perception and system problems. An intuitive people leader, coach and connector who develops, supports and stretches people to be their best ensuring an embedded culture of safety and quality across an organisation.
In safety, I need to convince others to follow me to meet the organisation’s mantra and work towards the agreed safety strategy. The most effective way to do this is having the ability to build strong relationships with everyone in the organisation and use operational champions to drive the safety behaviours and expectations.
Safety requirements and worksites are constantly evolving and changing and so does the risk profiles across different environments. Providing guidance in safety matters and feedback to help site based staff as well as managers to strengthen, build knowledge and skills to perform tasks safely and highlight best practice.
- Senior Consultant | BWC Safety | Current
- WHS & Compliance Consultant | 2021-Current
- WHS & Risk Consultant | Local Government | 2020-2021
- Health & Safety Governance Con. | Score Perth| 2019-2020
- HSE, Risk & Business Gov. Con. | Lockforce Int.| 2018-2019
- AUS/NZ National HSEQ Governance Mgr. | Swire | 2013-2018
Workplace Certificates & Competencies
- Master in OHSE – ACU
- ICAM Investigation and Just Culture
- Cert IV Training and Assessment
- Lead Auditor ISO 9001, 14001, 45001
- Diploma Project Management
- Australian Health & Safety Institute (ChOHSP)
- Engineers Australia (CIChem Eng)
- Australian Institute of Occupational Hygienists
- Energy Club
- Aus IMM
Recent Client Programs
Some recent examples include:
Mining, Oil & Gas, Utilities, Renewable & Supermarkets
- Closeout of Third-Party Audit findings.
- Gap Analysis conducted against new WHS Act 2020 (WA).
- Conducting Inspections & audits at workplaces.
- ICAM Inspections & Risk Identification & Assessments.
- Identifying safety training needs and developing training packages and identifying suitable RTOs for delivery.
- Providing leadership with safety training i.e. obligations responsibilities and what it means to be an “Officer”.
- Implement Mental Health Awareness Program and strategies.
- Inner City Councils – migration to new WHS Act WA
Developed WHS Governance & Framework aligned to new WHS Act 2020 (WA) & ISO 45001 standard.
Compiling & maintaining a running Action Plan with internal Stakeholders addressing gap analysis between existing OSH and new WHS Legislation.
Developed WHS Performance dashboard to WHS KPIs as well as report on closeout /progress to Action Plan.
Prevent, reduce injuries by moving towards injury prevention, wellbeing and care by building relationship with LGIS.
Reviewing & identifying an adequate WHS budget.
Reduced LTIFR from 0.64 to 0.00 over 18months with safety & wellbeing campaigns, increased inspections and engaging employees to participate in safety process and procedural development and continuous improvement. Increased quantity of audits and inspects by 25% on previous year.
Provided expert advice and thought leadership on issues affect the effectiveness of the HSE strategy, HSE performance and opportunities to optimise HSE outcomes
Driving the implementation of Health & Safety in the organisation through verification audits & tracking progress of Action Plans.
Worked with internal BU to increase their H&S performance resulting in a 50% reduction in quantity of Non-Conformance Reports requiring investigation and management. Courageous conversations enabled process and cultural changes by working with the broader group of stakeholders during H&S training and use of HSE and Quality tools. In addition, Operational Improvements internally with Savings AUD$944,102.