Create a great first impression with your cover letter
While having a well written and up to date resume is extremely important, it’s also just as important to create a great first impression with an effective, articulate and persuasive cover letter.
While there are no hard and fast rules there are a number of steps to consider when putting a one page cover letter together:
- As well as the date, make sure that your address details are included at in the top section of the letter.
- Then list the name of the relevant contact person, the correct company name, street address, including the suburb and post code.
- If you are unable to include the name of the person just include the street address if possible.
- You should address the person by their name. For example, Dear Mr Smith, or if you are unable to find the relevant name you should address your letter Dear Sir/Madam.
- It is also a good idea to put a subject heading. For example, Re: Position for OH&S Co-ordinator with Smart Ideas Pty ltd.
- Your first paragraph should explain why you are writing to the company. For example, I am writing in relation to the advertised position for an OH&S Co-ordinator with Smart Ideas Pty Ltd that appear on …………
- The second and if necessary third paragraph should summarise the skills and experience that you have that is directly relevant to the advertised role, highlighting that this information is detailed in your resume.
- The final paragraph should wrap up by expressing your interest in the role and stating that you are looking forward to discussing the role with the potential employer in more detail.
While following a similar format for each application is relevant it’s very important to make sure that each cover letter is directly related to the individual advertised position.
If an employment advertisement says ‘please send resume and cover letter’ then send both, because if you can’t fulfil the initial instructions from the company and just send your resume it certainly doesn’t create a good first impression.
If you would like to find out more please feel free to give me a call on +61 02 9836 3100 or email Info@safetyservices.net.au